- 12 Months Fixed Term Contract
- Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney Location
- Salary to commensurate with experience
- Play a pivotal role bringing voice assistants to life in ABC Digital Products
The ABC strives for equity and diversity in the workplace, and to promote a culture of opportunity. Through its services the ABC seeks to represent, connect and engage with all of the Australian community. In line with our focus on diversity, applications are strongly encouraged from Indigenous Australians, people from a range of cultural and linguistic backgrounds, people with disability and LGBTIQ+ individuals. The ABC also aims to achieve a gender-balanced workforce.
For more information on inclusive employee networks within the ABC please refer to ABC LinkedIn and Life Page
About the Team
Whether it’s staying informed of the latest breaking News, bringing some great TV on iview, streaming the Hottest 100 on the triple j app, or entertaining the kids with our ABC Kids app, the ABC’s Digital Product offerings are some of Australia’s most loved and most used platforms. We operate as a united, cohesive mobile team, that has a keen focus on quality, automation, data driven decisions, empowerment and teammate-ship. Join a dynamic close-knit team exploring how emerging mobile technologies can provide rich, engaging & dependable mobile apps to the Australian public.
About the Role
This position will is for our flagship ABC News Application, of which has been the #1 app in the App Store and continuously the #1 news application in Australia. You will be embedded in the mobile team and will also have the opportunity to contribute and shape the direction of ABC’s various other apps. We’re seeking an engineer that believes in quality software development practices such as clean code, automation build pipelines & testing, continuous integration, agile software development all with a pragmatic approach to providing value to our end users. Our team culture is founded on respect, open mindedness, growth and transparency and in turn would be seeking a great teammate willing to work alongside others.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Develop high quality & engaging user facing features and experiences
- Contribute as part of a high performing team to the analysis, design and development of very complex, re-usable components for use across our mobile applications
- Champion a high level of awareness of best practice in the industry for software engineering, particularly in areas such as stability, performance, security and accessibility
- Mentor and help grow your fellow teammates career paths technically and non-technically
You have a passion for new and emerging technologies, and solid fundamentals in software engineering to explore possibilities in these areas in an impactful and sustainable way.
You will have demonstrated strengths in the following:
- Developing scalable, complex and high-performing Android applications in Java & Kotlin
- A strong and keen focus on clean code & MAD (modern Android development)
- Automated testing and setting up/maintaining automation pipelines for CI/CD
- Strong capability in core Android API’s, frameworks and features
- Effective navigation & mitigation of production issues with prompt time to resolution
- Able to collaborate and communicate effectively in a creative, cross functional team
- The Play Store’s release process and monitoring and working with stakeholders post release
Some key technologies you can expect to work with: Kotlin, Java (minimal), Bamboo, Bitbucket, Fastlane, Firebase, Dagger 2, Retrofit 2, Leanback, Kotlin Coroutines, Jetpack Components, OKHttp, Mockito SDWebImage, RXJava, Tealium.
Applications must be uploaded via the ABC Careers Portal - www.abc.net.au/careers
For further information on this position please contact Richard Sbresny, Engineering Manager – Mobile Applications via firstname.lastname@example.org
We are unable to accept email applications, please ensure you submit your application through our online portal.
We respectfully request that Recruitment Agencies do not submit applications for this position.